Steve Harley

& Cockney Rebel

Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Manchester..The Morning After The Gig...

Re: Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9193

• therebel
well said stu and we all hope linc is feeling better soon. must admit my highlight last night was hearing something that took me 4 or 5 years to get in my youth and almost half a weeks wages at the time big big deal might not be everyone's favourite but for me it has a special place in my Harley life.
Was in a frenzy from the midnight air when I saw the light
I realized only children can live upon a timeless flight
Please login/register to post on the forum.

Re: Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9194

• Harley fan
I felt very sad to hear of Lincoln not feeling well last night and the obvious loss of Phantom recently, then on the row behind us was a pathetic drunk tw*t spoiling it for everyone else - loudly talking, shouting, heckling, standing up etc etc and when the men in front of him stood up to tell him to be quiet, or whatever, a fight nearly started. I was terrified and ended up having a panic attack and spent the rest of the evening feeling quite ill - so thanks for that lads!! cheers!
On a brighter note, thanks, as always Steve and the team. Brilliant... Stu and I say everytime, 'he can't get better can he'?? and he does!! Although what it better than better!!
Great to see everyone and Roxy, I love your little girl Minnie, aged 6.... so hope she enjoyed it, bless. JB xx

Re: Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9195

• Philca
Hey Julie, sorry to hear your evening was somewhat marred by the behaviour of a certain individual in the audience. Was it the same haggis munching pissed up knuckle-dragger who heckled incoherently all through the show, then at the encore came down to the front, heckled Steve again at close quarters and not content with that, managed to climb his way onto the stage as the band were taking their bow and grabbed Steve in a headlock? It was nice to see you again though, and looking so well. x

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9196

• My Only Vice
Just arrived back in Norwich, Sunday pm, jaded from journeying but chuffed to have witnessed yet another fantastic night. A stella performance, one to live long in the memory. Stu has summed it up perfectly, so I'll just briefly add . . . Death Trip; has it ever sounded better? Awesome. A standing ovation richly deserved.

I was amused by the surly security staff; they ushered a few patrons away from the stage during the evening, but were powerless to stop the impromptu, joyous dancing at the end. The look on their faces as the cocky rabble left their seats for a party finale was a picture!

Bill and Adam happened to be sitting on the next table to us at breakfast in the hotel this morning, and then a chance meeting with Steve later in the morning too. A nice little bonus to round off a fine weekend.

Get well soon Lincoln. Roll on RAH :)
I'd hide if I could, but I'm red in a yellow sea . . .

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9197

• cockneyr3bel
Weve just arrived back home,after a fantastic weekend,concert was brilliant,(Apart from the drunken T@@T,who heckled all the way through,Then jumped up in front of us through Tumblin Down,then jumped on stage and nearly knocked Steve flying)We then had a great hour at the stage door, and meeting the band,and some new friends ,shame we missed Steve,Hope Lincoln will soon be better,but Bill Dyer stood in well.New programme was great too ,fantastic art work.now going to watch Birmingham dvd again.pity it wasnt video'd,would be great to see Spaced Out and Big Deal again !!!!

Re:Manchester..The Morning After The Gig... 10 years 4 days ago #9198

• jollyroger
Has it ever been better? Of course not! Stu is right that SH allows Manchester a special place in his performing heart. And to that completely sold-out Bridgewater Hall, he seemed to have saved up something special. The voice was huge!! I can't sing - I've been a writer all my adult life, writing mostly about actors and singers, but I do know when a voice matures and grows and last night I heard wondrous notes and inflections form the Harley diaphragm and throat. It seemed at times like he might stay all night.....Big Big Deal, Spaced Out, from the young writer's days, to the gift of Make Me Smile, it was truly a great (GREAT) performance by a man at ease with himself. Judging by the words he spoke, the little vignettes that gave away some of his inner-most thoughts from the past, Harley does appear to have finally accepted that he is clever, can write brilliant songs, DOES belong in the highest Pantheon of rock stars, even if he himself is reluctant to admit it. I had a tear more than once; I laughed many times as he teased his audience, and gaped in awe at some of the magnificent playing, both by a hard-core proper rock band (Steve Norman, charismatic, Adam some drummer leading the band, James Lascelles looking like he was born to play a full length concert grand Steinway piano) and a young orchestra who could swing when asked and a choir that might have found some of the lyrics and rhythms "unusual" but managed to blend fine harmony with great commitment to the rock genre they'd agreed to share for that night. If you weren't there, grab a ticket for one of the June shows. I've seldom felt that sort of emotion either during or after a concert. Two great albums performed by 50+ great musicians. And Mr H....without whom.......
Can it ever get better? Of course not. Well - I expect so, actually. Because SH will always want it to be better, and he seems to have the touch. I am so glad I witnessed that occasion, and in Manchester, too, the special place in his performing heart